Saturday, December 20, 2008

'Tis The Season

They say things come in seasons.

I'm not sure who "they" are-- those highly elusive "theys" who seem to dictate every adage which pertains to the status quo-- but whoever they are, I think they are right.

As a writer, I definitely have my seasons and stages. I once journalled excessively; then I blogged on the (almost) non-existent Xanga; and then Facebook took over my world and I didn't write page after page, day after day anymore. Somehow, writing "notes" on Facebook just doesn't have the same feel. I somehow find it sterile and less inviting than a page solely devoted to the written word. And so I have written very little there and simply posted poetry.

But just as seasons roll around, fade, and about-face all over again, my want of writing (and wont of writing) has taken its hold of me and urged me the past few days to write faithfully again. And a public audience is exactly the motivation I need. I never realised how much properly blogging really does boost one's writing skills-- or at least maintains it.

So I'm back, with a fresh page. I'll refrain from saying, "I'm not sure how much I'll use this, exactly" because the last time I said such, I proved myself a definite under-estimator of the length & quantity of my writing capabilities. I do plan to write regularly, and keeping up with that will hardly be a problem for me, I'm sure. I'm afraid I'm almost never at a loss for (written) words.

I've been realising a lot of myself is feeling kept up inside, both artistically and expressively. My point in writing here will be to have a purpose to get things out-- much as my old page did, which, by its prompting of writing exercise and the wonderful critiques and encouragement from the readers, inspired me to come up with something each day. And some of us know how many of those posts (by the urging in the comments I received on them) became my first book. So, who knows where this may lead? I'm hoping for something even more. We're coming up on a new year; the days are fading fast; and my mind and heart are quickly weaving their skills together, bringing feelings to thought and thoughts to words. I know this feeling: it's what pushes me to write. It is what says I must, lest I lose these chances and inspirations. So please read, think, comment, and critique. I have much to say and much I want to learn!

'Tis the season to begin again.

L.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment