Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Thoughts On New Year's Eve

I have seen you, have been you, in your wildest dreams;
your fair look, your features, your subconscious streams
of thought-life and movement and dazzling things
in love-light and moments spent setting these scenes.

Here's a wish: here's a dare. Life is full of extremes.
Here's to song that has spun itself out to its seams.
I have danced to your music and crushed all the leaves
that have dropped down the curtain on seasons, sweet deeds,

and the fist-flying fights that have held in suspense;
I have left them behind, neither pauper nor prince.
I have quieted battles, content to dispense
of the drama and spotlights and sit on the fence.

You require no promise to that or to this;
I have left years in questions without recompense.
It's a grand thing that's coming! I am caught in the midst,
yet I find soft the solace sitting here, present tense.

No comments:

Post a Comment